JG - J'can cops to quiz father of suspected suicide bomber
J'can cops to quiz father of suspected suicide bomber
published: Saturday July 16, 2005
Ross Sheil, Staff Reporter
DEPUTY COMMISSIONER of Police Mark Shields, yesterday said the local police were in the process of interviewing Nigel Lindsay, father of Jamaican-born Jermain Lindsay, who is suspected to be one of four suicide bombers involved in last week's attacks on the London transport system that killed 53 people.
DCP Shields would not reveal where the interview was taking place except that it was in Kingston. Mr. Lindsay volunteered himself to the police by contacting the British High Commission, said DCP Shields.
In an interview on RJR radio yesterday, Mr. Lindsay said his son was born on September 23 1985, but left for the United Kingdom in 1986. Mr. Lindsay said he also moved to the UK but returned in 1989. He described his son as a "quiet and calm" boy but said they had lost touch in the past two months."
According to DCP Shields, Mr. Lindsay had travelled into Kingston from Portmore but could not confirm that he was resident there.
"The father of this person who has been allegedly involved, because of the publicity has decided to come forward because of his concern," said DCP Shields. I need to stress that there is no indication that he or anyone else from Jamaica is involved with last week's events in London."
DCP Shields said he would be present while police questioned Mr. Lindsay and would report to Scotland Yard. DCP Shields was previously head of Scotland Yard's Special Branch International Anti-Terrorism Unit.
He added that Mr. Lindsay had indicated a desire to issue a statement later to the press.
United Kingdom press reports, accredited to police sources, said his son was the suicide bomber who detonated a bomb on a Piccadilly Line Underground train travelling between the King's Cross and Russell Square stations on Thursday July 7. However police have not officially confirmed him as a suspect and he has not been confirmed amongst the dead.
The British High Commission refused to comment saying it had no knowledge of Nigel Lindsay contacting them.
"We will not comment on speculation," said British High Commission Press and Public Affairs Officer Mark Waller. "Until London confirms him as the suspect then it is just that (speculation). It is a name that has been flown out by the media but we are going to have to wait on the coroner's court."
When contacted by The Gleaner yesterday Scotland Yard reiterated Thursday's comment that it had named only two suspects so far: Hasib Mir Hussain, aged 18, and Shehzad Tanweer, 22. Mr. Hussein's ID was found on the number 30 bus and police said they had forensic evidence linking Mr. Tanweer with the Aldgate East site. Both were confirmed to be from Leeds.